Soundboard Crown measurement and evaluation

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:18:34 -0600

"Crown, Shmown" seems to be Steinway's attitude. In a class I took with
their tech reps, they made a special point--they brought it up, no one had
asked the question--that crown measurements are irrelevant; pianos can
perform just fine with zero crown. That's what they said, or at least what
I heard. My immediate reaction was, "Huh???"

Maybe they're right, I dunno. But we sure seem to worry about it more than
they do.

I've wondered if a higher crown makes a piano more reactive to humidity
swings. Are Acrosonic spinet boards flat?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri