A=435

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:28:46 -0500

I and many other techs on this list routinely tune pianos stamped A435
up to A440 pitch. Only in rare situations are the strings work hardened
to the point where there is not enough elasticity to do this.

As for the soundboard/bridge cracks, it is highly likely these could be
easily and inexpensively repaired with CA glue. I encouraged you to find
a tech comfortable with its use. If you give us your approximate
location there is likely a tech on this list who would be willing to do
this. Maybe even the 2nd tech you called out could do it if he would
take the time to learn from the archives of this list.

I would not dump this piano if it has the tone you say it does.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of newdaymoore@bellsouth.net
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:43 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: A=435

Well I was told by a technician who rebuilds vintage pianos to check
inside the piano to see if it is stamped somewhere a435, and it is.  He
is the one that gave me most of the information about the history of
pianos being tuned at a435 in the late 1800's to early 1900's.  So I
posted to ask if any of you knew about this.  In the mean time I went
online and checked it out.  I found the technician I talked to was
correct.  Another tech looked at the piano and agreed it was made to be
at a435, it is clearly marked in the piano, but with new strings could
be brought up to a440 plus needs new treble bridge.  Plus he found two
hair line cracks in the soundboard.  He told me it  being so old of a
piano isn't worth fulling with.  I found other websites talking about
the history of pitch.  I just typed in the search bar a435 and a bunch
of sites came up.  I know nothing about orchestras, except what I read
online.
The piano was bought for a beginner student.  Obviously not the best
piano for a new student. From what information I have gathered from all
of you it will take too much money to fix it up and then who knows what
will go next in it.  The technician who looked at the piano before it
was purchased said it was in very good condition, needed a set of damper
felts, set of bridle straps, a hammer replaced, and a new keybed and a
tuning.  He did the repairs listed and then the tuning. He said it will
need 2 tunings a year and it should last another generation.  Obviously
he was very wrong. Because he was called out the next day because a
ringing sound was being heard in one of the keys. He said it had
hairline cracks in the treble bridge and wanted to do an Epoxy repair.
I posted for the first time on this site to find out about such a
repair.  I am so glad I did.  HE has never done an epoxy repair but
wanted to try it for the first time on my piano.  After all the advice I
got from you all I called and told him no thank you.  That is when he
told me he knew about the cracks in the soundboard.  I guess he forgot
he didn't share that with me.  That is when I decided to call out
another tech to get a second opinion.  The second tech told me about the
cracks in the soundboard and he saw the a435 pitch marking and he saw
the cracks in the treble bridge.  So yea, I thought I was doing the
right thing having a tech look at it before I bought it.  But I guess I
didn't pick the right tech.  So I have stupid written across my
forehead.    Thank you all, you have been a great help to me in trying
to decide what to do with this piano.  The piano is beautiful on the
outside but it is 115 years old.  Now I am trying to figure out which
brand of piano to buy for my daughter.  They all cost soo much brand
new.  I am not brave enough to go with a used one again.  After all the
stuff I have read I am beginning to think she should just stick with
guitar.  I got so burned on a used piano.