Wounded piano

Gould, Jeremy Jeremy.Gould@unco.edu
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:25:58 -0700

Guy,

=20

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like a simple repair!

=20

Jeremy

=20

________________________________

From: Nichols [mailto:nicho@zianet.com]=20
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 7:47 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Wounded piano

=20

At 11:54 AM 11/22/2005 -0700, you wrote:

Hello list,

=20

I was looking at one of our university s Baldwin s as a candidate for
restringing, and discovered the structural damage pictured in the
attachment.  Any ideas on how this could have happened? =20

Gremlins, moving stress, any number of things that don't matter. (it's
in the past!)

Any suggestions for repair (I don t want to replace the sound-board)? =20

Yeah, that part of the board is cosmetic anyway. Your biggest issue may
be sostenueto adjustment. Take off the lid, clamp a two-by-four down to
the top of the board, end-wise along side the rim as close as you can
get, and see if the assembly will drop that  4 or 5 mm it seems that is
lifted. If so, let it up and squeeze some epoxy in there. and re-clamp.
Or not, you know. If it is "solid", and not buzzing, the sos reg can be
dealt with.

=20

It doesn t seem to have affected the sound of the piano negatively.  The
piano has got a big sound with good sustain, but it s been around the
block a few times.  It s a Model SF made in 1920.

=20

Or '56, as you corrected. One of my faves.

Jeremy

Good luck,
Guy Nichols, RPT

=20