A=435

newdaymoore@bellsouth.net newdaymoore@bellsouth.net
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:42:33 -0500

Well I was told by a technician who rebuilds vintage pianos to check =
inside the piano to see if it is stamped somewhere a435, and it is.  He =
is the one that gave me most of the information about the history of =
pianos being tuned at a435 in the late 1800's to early 1900's.  So I =
posted to ask if any of you knew about this.  In the mean time I went =
online and checked it out.  I found the technician I talked to was =
correct.  Another tech looked at the piano and agreed it was made to be =
at a435, it is clearly marked in the piano, but with new strings could =
be brought up to a440 plus needs new treble bridge.  Plus he found two =
hair line cracks in the soundboard.  He told me it  being so old of a =
piano isn't worth fulling with.  I found other websites talking about =
the history of pitch.  I just typed in the search bar a435 and a bunch =
of sites came up.  I know nothing about orchestras, except what I read =
online.=20
The piano was bought for a beginner student.  Obviously not the best =
piano for a new student. From what information I have gathered from all =
of you it will take too much money to fix it up and then who knows what =
will go next in it.  The technician who looked at the piano before it =
was purchased said it was in very good condition, needed a set of damper =
felts, set of bridle straps, a hammer replaced, and a new keybed and a =
tuning.  He did the repairs listed and then the tuning. He said it will =
need 2 tunings a year and it should last another generation.  Obviously =
he was very wrong. Because he was called out the next day because a =
ringing sound was being heard in one of the keys. He said it had =
hairline cracks in the treble bridge and wanted to do an Epoxy repair.  =
I posted for the first time on this site to find out about such a =
repair.  I am so glad I did.  HE has never done an epoxy repair but =
wanted to try it for the first time on my piano.  After all the advice I =
got from you all I called and told him no thank you.  That is when he =
told me he knew about the cracks in the soundboard.  I guess he forgot =
he didn't share that with me.  That is when I decided to call out =
another tech to get a second opinion.  The second tech told me about the =
cracks in the soundboard and he saw the a435 pitch marking and he saw =
the cracks in the treble bridge.  So yea, I thought I was doing the =
right thing having a tech look at it before I bought it.  But I guess I =
didn't pick the right tech.  So I have stupid written across my =
forehead.    Thank you all, you have been a great help to me in trying =
to decide what to do with this piano.  The piano is beautiful on the =
outside but it is 115 years old.  Now I am trying to figure out which =
brand of piano to buy for my daughter.  They all cost soo much brand =
new.  I am not brave enough to go with a used one again.  After all the =
stuff I have read I am beginning to think she should just stick with =
guitar.  I got so burned on a used piano.
  ----- Original Message -----=20