Chucky Cheese

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:28:44 -0500

  It looks like you used the 'Spurlock', method, and tool?

  Yes.

  Did you route out the slot?

  Yes.

  To what depth, or what is the thickness, of the insert?

  Don't know. It was a while ago.

  Is the hole in it tapered, or just straight through?

  Mmmmmm, straight? I think. It was a while ago.

  What is the difference in size between the balance rail pin, and the =
drill bit?

  You're gettin' way to technical now! I don't remember.=20

  Bill Spurlock has an instructional sheet for doing this repair. I =
simply followed his recommendations to the letter. Seemed to work very =
well.

  I have heard some talk of making the insert longer to cut down on =
flex, did you give any thought to that?

  No. And this was a 9-foot piano - perhaps, if I were doing all the =
keys, that might have been a good idea. I only had to do about a dozen =
or so.

  Finally, what type of wood did you use?

  Again, whatever Bill Spurlock recommended, but I think it was =
basswood. I seem to recall the he stated in his instructional pamphlet =
that some techs like to use maple for its durability, but maple may be =
prone to noise (I wonder about soft maple then?).

  Oh, by the way, very nice looking job.

  Thanks you very much. These repaired keys lined up perfectly with the =
others. I was very happy with the results. This was the first and only =
time I've tried this repair. The piano that I will be bringing to =
Rochester next summer will have all or most of the keys repaired in this =
manner - they are really horrible!

  John M. Ross