shank strike weights

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:09:21 -0800

William Ballard wrote:
     > snip <
> Fazioli is using magnetic balancing, and probably under license from the
> patent of its originator (a Dutchman, I believe). If there is anything
> to learn on why a piano factory might choose to incorporate the
> innovation of an individual tech (say, this person or David) and as a
> result, the greater value of such patents, we could start by exploring
> Fazioli's decision.

Are you certain that magnetic balancing is a standard part of Fazioli's
procedure? This was not the case when I visited the factory in 2002. At
that time, MB was a time-of-order option only. Have they changed their
process?

In 2002, Fazioli did not weigh/adjust strike weight at all. Strictly
static balancing of keys with lead.

-Mark