shank strike weights

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:56:52 -0500

At 4:09 PM -0500 11/18/05, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>I don't find the patent issue on the salient point of how David
>leads keys of any concern to me at this time. I have an open mind .
>Someone feel free to change it. I'm not saying it doesn't have merit
>& isn't a valuable technique.........

You're a case in point, Dale. David came up with his FW Equation of
Balance as a response to the challenge that all his measurements were
static/gravitational, and had no way of directly measuring the
dynamic/inertial. The FW Equation of Balance still only infers the
inertial load of a keyset, rather than measuring it directly. But it
still does it more precisely than most factories do, And I consider
an excellent response to the challenge hitting both a smooth FW curve
(static/gravitational) and a smooth inertial curve with the same
spacing of keyleads.

That's the only part of David's metrology with is covered by patent
(although some of us may have noticed when he gave it to us for free
here on PTx).

>......but most Custom balancers are not using it any way, in it's
>patented intended form.

Most custom balancers aren't served with the same challenge that
David was, having to prove that his system would not fail at the
point of hitting FWs and inertia simultaneously. Few of the rest of
us are not currently worried that the way we arrange lead in a keyset
doesn't concern itself with smooth inertial content across the keyset.

John Hartman's device can measure inertial behavior (and thus,
content). However, to hit both FW and inertia simultaneously would
have one hopping back and forth between the set-up for reading
inertia and the set-up for reading FW, in a manner of iterations
which I'm not going to call practical. Stephen Birkett's of course
requires grant funding, and does fit easily in a tool box. <G>

Fazioli is using magnetic balancing, and probably under license from
the patent of its originator (a Dutchman, I believe). If there is
anything to learn on why a piano factory might choose to incorporate
the innovation of an individual tech (say, this person or David) and
as a result, the greater value of such patents, we could start by
exploring Fazioli's decision.

(Yeah, I know, lead is soon to be banned in European pianos, and
magnets are the next best substitute......if you're unwilling to
consider helper springs. Yeah, and also magnets are no more than a
substitute for lead, whereas David's is a comprehensive system to
analyze whether the amount of counterbalancing asked for by the
action is reasonable, and further to make sure that everything
measured as a part of that analysis can be made as smooth as
possible.)

It's still an exciting frontier.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Reality is the first casualty of technology
     ...........NPR Commentator Daniel Schorr