Pump organ

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:57:01 -0600

> I have a friend who is considering buying a pump organ made by the
> “Chicago Cottage Organ Co.”  Does anyone know anything about these?

Wasn't that the name Sears sold? Cost about $16 new around 1900.

> Of course since it has a keyboard, I’m supposed to know about it!

Well, sure. Best advice, have a cynic who knows pump organs look it
over before the friend buys it - like any keyboard instrument. The
fact that it currently makes noise when the pedals are pumped, with
a given stop pulled and a key pressed isn't any more an indication
of long term viability with these glorified harmonicas than it is
with a suspected piano. There's always more wrong than meets the
optimistic eye. Always. Be prepared to have it break down shortly
after being purchased and pressed into service again after sitting
for 50 years un-touched. It'll work for a while (and look like a
bargain), but the more it's pumped, the more the petrified bellows
and reservoir rubber cracks, the more it leaks, and the faster you
have to pump to keep up - until you no longer can keep up. Then it's
time to do it as right as you can. A generic 11 stop organ will
likely (or should) cost somewhere between $1500, and $2000 to
rebuild, without refinish.

Ron N, intermittent organator