Upright soft pedal

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:18:03 -0800

I usually tell the customer that it's like a pitcher in a baseball game.  If you do a wind-up and throw the ball, you can throw it very fast.  If don't do a wind-up and just push the ball forward, you don't get the same force.  The hammer gets more momentum when it starts farther away from the string.  If the hammer is closer to the string (as it is when you press the pedal), it can't get as much momentum.  If you show them what happens when you press the pedal, they usually understand it right away.  I also explain that it is a very subtle effect, and contrast it with a grand action which "misses" a string when the pedal is pushed.
Paul McCloud
San Diego,

----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Walker
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 11/17/2005 12:30:17 PM
Subject: Upright soft pedal

Upright soft pedal
I had a customer complained that the left (soft) pedal did not work. I tried to explain the function of the pedal. When I told them they would not hear any difference in volume they thought it was odd the piano companies would put on a pedal that didn't do anything. You show the customer the hammers are moving closer to the string to proved that the pedal is doing something but sometime this is not enough. I'm interested to hear what the members of the list tell their customers.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS
B4N 3R4
Cell 902-221-1540
Fax 902-681-1463
wayne.w@musicstop.com
www.musicstop.com

It has removed 2275 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!