Whitening ivory keys

Britt West brittsam@charter.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:05:31 -0500

Duaine,
      The site Avery Todd listed in his post has some great info but you
can also just use regular hydrogen peroxide brushed from the drug
store.  When using peroxide it will raise the grain so sanding and
buffing afterwards is a must.  I place the keys (usually still on the
keyframe) out in direct sunlight on a sunny day.  I paint hydrogen
peroxide on with a brush every 15 min or so as they dry.  Yellow spots
or really yellow keys may take several days to bleach out.  After
bleaching I glue down loose ivories with glue wafers and clamps.
(Pianotek and Schaff carry them) If they are just barely coming loose I
may wick some thin CA in there to hold them, but if in doubt I pull
them off and use a new glue wafer.  I then sand the tops level and
repair the chips with the Acrilite II ivory repair system that is
advertised in the back of the journal.  (If you don't get the PTG
Journal I will be happy to email you the info) This is a great kit and
if you will be doing many of these I highly recommend it.  I finish off
with buffing on a cloth wheel.

Britt

Britt West, RPT

West Piano Service