Piano Maintenance versus Piano Tooning

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:23:46 -0600

I've taken a different approach to this.  I charge a flat fee for a
period of time with the piano.  I am the most expensive technician
servicing my area.  During that time period I do as much as I can for
the piano.  With a piano I am seeing for the first time, I may end up
only pitch-correcting.  The second time around I may do a little
hammer shaping and voicing where it is most desperately needed.  The
third time around... etc.  On my service record I record everything
that I've done and everything the piano needs that I notice.  When I
call the second time they sometimes want more of it done and we
schedule a longer appointment.  Basically the piano just keeps
getting better the longer I service it.  I encourage clients to
consider a separate appointment to get a totally un-prepped piano in
good regulation etc.  Some will, some wait.  Don't try to be
cheap.  Make sure you charge as much for your time doing everything
else a piano needs as you charge for tuning.  It is no fun just
tuning or horrible piano that is begging to be better.
  I worked on a Wurly the other day that I thought should be headed
to the landfill.  I was surprised with what I got out of it.  Next
time it will be even better.
If you give your clients the choice of doing less or nothing, most
will.  Set maintenance intervals, closer together where needed.  I
call it maintenance and say that tuning is just one fraction of what
makes a piano great.

My take on it.
Andrew Anderson