Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:06:37 -0600

Terry:
=20
The new Steinways front rail pins are 0.125" but their balance rail pins =
are 0.146"
=20
dp
=20
__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org on behalf of Farrell
Sent: Mon 11/7/2005 1:57 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

Indeed, that is what I would like to do, but as I stated in my original =
post, "I don't see that the supply houses offer plated/steel pins in the =
Yamaha size." Are you aware of a source for plated key pins for Yamaha - =
front rail =3D 0.125-inch and center rail =3D 0.137-inch?
=20
Terry Farrell

	----- Original Message -----=20

	=20
	Hi Terry,
	If you are going to rebush, why not also repin with the better pins, =
and use leather the correct size. Then you will not have the =
contamination problem with the Ballistol.
	Joe Goss RPT
	Mother Goose Tools
	imatunr@srvinet.com
	www.mothergoosetools.com

		----- Original Message -----=20

		=20
		I've got a bunch of Yamaha C3s from cruise ships to do key bushings =
on. Many of these piano get fairly rough use 7 days per week (piano bar =
and all that). So we're searching for a better way. Some of these get =
worn out in a matter of several months.
		=20
		We've considered leather bushings, but my understanding is that there =
can be a chemical reaction between the leather and the Yamaha brass key =
pins. I don't see that the supply houses offer plated/steel pins in the =
Yamaha size.
		=20
		So maybe we need to use cloth key bushings. I heard from some that =
Renner has the most durable key bushing cloth. Any opinions on that?
		=20
		What about lubrication on the cloth bushing material to minimize =
friction and increase longevity? Microfine Teflon powder? But doesn't =
that just sort of fall out quickly? What about some sort of graphite? A =
synthetic grease, maybe like VJ lube? Anyone ever try anything like =
that? Any other ideas (constructive)?
		=20
		Maybe I should just stand in back of the piano player with a whip or a =
well proportioned maple 2 x 4?
		=20
		Thanks.
		=20