Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:03:32 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
Keep us posted! If this works, it may be the best news since saving old blocks with CA -- you'll be almost as famous as the person who first thought of that! (whoever the heck it was).

What glue did you use? It seems like the relative amount of "give" among hide, CA, or whatever, could make a performance difference.

Another ponderable ... with the crown gone, I wonder what has happened to the tension in the shoulders .... greatly reduced for sure. Maybe some hardener will be necessary to get much sound out of them.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 11/07/2005 2:46:13 PM
Subject: Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch

Never let it be said that I don't apply bandaids to junk pianos.

Refurbishing an action from a junk 90-year-old microgrand for a lady. Not going to replace the worn-to-the-core hammers because of $$. Regulation was a main objective (among many other things). But I just couldn't give her back her piano with the entire top octave hammer cores banging onto the strings.

So........ this is a first for me......... not necessarily even suggesting its a good idea....... but I did it anyway........

Step 1 - file flat hammer tops real flat (I did not remove much felt from these!):

Step 2 - glue new hammer material to hammer tips:

Step 3 - sand/file, first with belt sander, then with paddle, then shoe-shine to shape (a little out of focus, but you get the idea):

It looks like it will work. Don't know what it will sound like. Gotta be better than wood.

Anyway, FWIW. Silly ideas from silly techs.

Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--