Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:23:43 -0500

Keep us posted! If this works, it may be the best news since saving old =
blocks with CA -- you'll be almost as famous as the person who first =
thought of that! (whoever the heck it was).

WOW! Famous! Maybe call it a hammer toupee?

What glue did you use? It seems like the relative amount of "give" among =
hide, CA, or whatever, could make a performance difference.=20

Hot hide. It's the perfect choice because of its kinky qualities. And =
besides, dogs prefer it 10 to 1.

Another ponderable ... with the crown gone, I wonder what has happened =
to the tension in the shoulders .... greatly reduced for sure. Maybe =
some hardener will be necessary to get much sound out of them.=20

Tension, smension. You really think there is any "tension" in the =
90-year-old adjacent unadulterated hammer? But you may be correct anyway =
that the tone will be way too soft and some hardener might help.

I'll let you know how bad they sounded.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Keep us posted! If this works, it may be the best news since saving =
old blocks with CA -- you'll be almost as famous as the person who first =
thought of that! (whoever the heck it was).

  What glue did you use? It seems like the relative amount of "give" =
among hide, CA, or whatever, could make a performance difference.=20

  Another ponderable ... with the crown gone, I wonder what has happened =
to the tension in the shoulders .... greatly reduced for sure. Maybe =
some hardener will be necessary to get much sound out of them.=20

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    ----- Original Message -----=20

    Never let it be said that I don't apply bandaids to junk pianos.

    Refurbishing an action from a junk 90-year-old microgrand for a =
lady. Not going to replace the worn-to-the-core hammers because of $$. =
Regulation was a main objective (among many other things). But I just =
couldn't give her back her piano with the entire top octave hammer cores =
banging onto the strings.

    So........ this is a first for me......... not necessarily even =
suggesting its a good idea....... but I did it anyway........

    Step 1 - file flat hammer tops real flat (I did not remove much felt =
from these!):

    Step 2 - glue new hammer material to hammer tips:

    Step 3 - sand/file, first with belt sander, then with paddle, then =
shoe-shine to shape (a little out of focus, but you get the idea):

    It looks like it will work. Don't know what it will sound like. =
Gotta be better than wood.

    Terry Farrell