slight damper zing on the way down

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:14:10 EST

n a message dated 11/7/2005 8:02:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:
Take a careful look at the angle (top to  bottom) of the heads as they hit
the strings. If the top hits the strings just  slightly ahead of the rest of the
felt, I think there's less of a zing than if  the whole thing is trying to
hit flat on the strings. Seems like one of the  major builders (Steinway?)
actually recommends this.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

Alan,

Do you mean the FRONT of the dampers should contact the strings  first?  I've
seen this in new pianos before, and wondered why that was the  case.  Makes
sense

Thanks,

Dave