slight damper zing on the way down

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:30:22 -0600

I think, yes, if you have been talking about a grand. I was describing for an upright.

I gotta remember: Read, think, write ... in THAT order. <G>

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 11/07/2005 10:14:10 AM
Subject: Re: slight damper zing on the way down

n a message dated 11/7/2005 8:02:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, tune4u@earthlink.net writes:
Take a careful look at the angle (top to bottom) of the heads as they hit the strings. If the top hits the strings just slightly ahead of the rest of the felt, I think there's less of a zing than if the whole thing is trying to hit flat on the strings. Seems like one of the major builders (Steinway?) actually recommends this.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

Alan,

Do you mean the FRONT of the dampers should contact the strings first?  I've seen this in new pianos before, and wondered why that was the case.  Makes sense

Thanks,

Dave