Piano Bench Height

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:45:23 -0600

Seems like I saw a piece about him on TV and he also liked to play =
without the fallboard in place so his fingers would not hit it when =
playing..  Many organists like to hum what they are playing as it helps =
them ignore the delay in sound when playing a pipe organ with the =
chambers somewhat distant. =20
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing =
instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Terry=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:28 AM
  Subject: Re: Piano Bench Height

  Indeed. You can hear his humming on some of his recordings. My wife =
says that he also played sometimes with his legs crossed.

  Terry Farrell

    Didn't Glen play with his one leg crossed over the other?  He would =
have to have the bench low to do that.  Seems like he was a hummer too.
    Jim
    James Grebe

      =20

      Power! As others have said.  I have some artist benches here that =
I have modified with 2" blocks of wood to raise them even higher than =
they normally go, and 2 for which I bought Jansen's 2" longer legs.  I =
you are sitting back far enough even a person with long legs can get =
them under the keyboard because of the angle.  Personally I always want =
my elbows to be higher than the keyboard.  My question has always been =
how on earth did Glen Gould play sitting so low?

      =20

      dave

      =20

      David M. Porritt