Strange Bridge

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:20:49 -0800

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Joe Garrett
Sent: March 30, 2005 7:21 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Strange Bridge

Jason said: " The picture was taken from
the tail end of a straight-strung grand."

While toiling away on my main project, (1867 Chickering Grand), the thought
occured to me that "straight strung" is truly a misnomer! Del insists on calling
these beast Parallel Strung. And now I know why. There ain't anything that's
"Straight" about them!<G>
As for the picture, that is, indeed, a common thing seen in pre-1880 Grands &
Uprights. There were many manufacturers that utilized the windings all the way
to the hitch pin, not just Broadwood. BTW, the reason for the felt "booties" on
the larger strings, is to, hopefully, eliminate buzzing of the windings on the
bridge pins.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

  _____

No I don't. I insist on calling the flat-strung. I'm not sure just what
straight-strung means -- all pianos strings are pretty much straight -- but
parallel-strung implies that the strings are parallel to one another and many
flat-strung pianos have strings that either spread or converge.

It would probably be more accurate to call them non-overstrung scales but this,
to me, has always sounded some demeaning -- after all the practice of
over-stringing came along nearly 150 years after the invention of the piano and
introduced all kinds of problems. A good flat-strung scale is a joy to behold;
visually and aurally. (OK. I know there aren't many good ones around, but that's
not my fault!)

Del