Strange Bridge

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:20:54 -0800

Jason said: " The picture was taken from
the tail end of a straight-strung grand."

While toiling away on my main project, (1867 Chickering Grand), the =
thought occured to me that "straight strung" is truly a misnomer! Del =
insists on calling these beast Parallel Strung. And now I know why. =
There ain't anything that's "Straight" about them!<G>
As for the picture, that is, indeed, a common thing seen in pre-1880 =
Grands & Uprights. There were many manufacturers that utilized the =
windings all the way to the hitch pin, not just Broadwood. BTW, the =
reason for the felt "booties" on the larger strings, is to, hopefully, =
eliminate buzzing of the windings on the bridge pins.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I