Shimming Sound Boards

Søren Egetved post@pianostemmer.dk
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:39:32 +0200

Joe
I have repaired many soundboards,  mostly with shims from a supplier. I =
also have used older soundboard spruce, and for cosmetic reason it looks =
better, not trying to cover up that the soundboard have been repaired, =
just that old spruce, seems to be working better with old spruce. I have =
not had any problems with new cracks after, or that the glue joints did =
not hold. I mainly do soundboard repairs in winter, cause humidity ( in =
Denmark) are lower, and cracks more open of course. I have never used =
epoxy, and I don=B4t like the idea of putting plastic into a soundboard =
made of spruce. (maybe me that are to conservative)
I don=B4t do many uprights, but have repaired one or two, talking just =
soundboard.
I most say that I now use shims from a supplier, cause it is a problem =
to get old spruce from a soundboard and make shims that go deep enough.
Best regards=20
S=F8ren Egetved

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Shimming Sound Boards

  Soren said: "Yes it could, and it=B4s the way to do it."

  Soren,
  And why is that?!!!
  Personally, I don't think it makes one wit of difference, if you =
choose decent shim stock! (with the grain configuration in the right =
direction...which most from suppliers is NOT!) Make yer own. The only =
reason I use shims is for Grands. And, that's strickly for cosmetic =
reasons. On Uprights that really doesn't apply, so use Epoxy. On the =
grands I install the shims w/Epoxy. It's more forgiving of gaps, etc., =
and can be blended to match the board a bit. I don't try to cover up the =
fact that a board has been shimmed. I did a 9' Knabe once, that someone =
had done a Faux Finish on and I was really ticked, because, if I'd have =
seen the yards of shims already in the board, I would have told the =
client to have a new board instead. End results were less than favorable =
with shims. Hopefully, I won't make that mistake again!  :-(
  Best Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I