Shimming Sound Boards

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:41:28 -0800

Soren said: "Yes it could, and it=B4s the way to do it."

Soren,
And why is that?!!!
Personally, I don't think it makes one wit of difference, if you choose =
decent shim stock! (with the grain configuration in the right =
direction...which most from suppliers is NOT!) Make yer own. The only =
reason I use shims is for Grands. And, that's strickly for cosmetic =
reasons. On Uprights that really doesn't apply, so use Epoxy. On the =
grands I install the shims w/Epoxy. It's more forgiving of gaps, etc., =
and can be blended to match the board a bit. I don't try to cover up the =
fact that a board has been shimmed. I did a 9' Knabe once, that someone =
had done a Faux Finish on and I was really ticked, because, if I'd have =
seen the yards of shims already in the board, I would have told the =
client to have a new board instead. End results were less than favorable =
with shims. Hopefully, I won't make that mistake again!  :-(
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I