Flat Facts

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:52:08 -0800

"Mystery Writer" asked: "This question is so basic and naive, I fear the =
wrath of the list so I =3D
will ask it annonymously ...
=3D20
Customer asked: "I understand that humidity change is the principle =3D
cause for going out of tune, but if it gets flat than sharp, etc., why =
is the =3D
long term trend always flat? In other words, if it's a fact that the =
tuning =3D
pins are slowly turning counterclockwise with playing and weather, why =
can't =3D
you just lock them in place, somehow, so the piano stays close to pitch =
all =3D
the time?"
=3D20
I stood there staring stupidly and could not conjur a sensible-sounding
answer.
=3D20
What would YOU say?
=3D20
Dear Mystery Writer,
When a piano draws moisture, it goes sharp, which increases the tension =
of the strings. Which, in turn, stretches the strings. When the piano =
goes back to an equilibriam below the higher moisture situation...the =
strings are not "springs" that recoil back to their original =
position/length...THEREFORE the piano is now FLAT. K?<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I