was flat facts

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:53:16 -0700

Alan wrote:

> This question is so basic and naive, I fear the wrath of the list so I
> will ask it annonymously ...
>
> Customer asked: "I understand that humidity change is the principle
> cause for going out of tune, but if it gets flat than sharp, etc., why
> is the long term trend always flat?

   Because each of the 230-odd strings are at at least 100 lbs. tension
and they stretch.  When they stretch, they go flat.  On a newer piano,
other things are still settling, like the tuning pins settling in the
bottoms of their holes, the bends in the piano wire gradually
straightening out, the soundboard settling under the downbearing
pressure, etc., and all those things combine to make the piano go flat.
Now, many older pianos have strings that have pretty much stretched as
much as they're going to.  Pretty much --  but those strings are still
under tension and still stretching

> In other words, if it's a fact that the tuning pins are slowly turning
> counterclockwise with playing and weather

   That's not really a fact, unless the pins are quite loose in the
pinblock.  Stretching strings and other components settling into
position, and the crown of the soundboard being pushed flatter by all
the downward pressure contribute much more to a piano's going flat than
pins turning counterclockwise.

> , why can't you just lock them in place, somehow, so the piano stays
> close to pitch all the time?"

   Locking the pins in place wouldn't keep the strings from stretching
or the soundboard from swelling and collapsing.

> I stood there staring stupidly and could not conjur a
> sensible-sounding answer.

   Well now you can..  PTG Home Office has one-page Technical Bulletins
you can order and hand out to your customers.  There's one on Humidity
Control and another on Pitch Raising.

> What would YOU say?

   "Because the piano wire has been put under great tension and its
natural tendency is to stretch and elongate under all that tension, so
the pitch goes flat.  But sometimes humidity makes the soundboard swell
up enough to pull the strings tighter and actually overcome the rate of
going flat from stretching, but only for short periods of time.  When it
gets dry again, or when the furnace comes on, then the soundboard will
collapse a bit, letting the strings go flat again.  But over the long
term, it's the stretching of the wire that makes the piano go flat.
--David Nereson, RPT

> Mystery Writer
> Salem, MO
>

> --

I've read the comments that have been thoughtfully posted, but I have a
very hard time believing that bridge grooves, string stretching, etc.,
will take a piano 50 cents flat in 10 years--especially if it's an old
beater that has been crushing and stretching  for 75 years.

    I've seen pianos go 100 cents flat in 5 years.  Newer pianos, now,
not old beaters. But I would not be surprised if I raised pitch to A440
on an old piano that should have already done most of its stretching,
then came back 10 years later to find it 50 cents flat.  In fact, I
think it's happened to me several times.  Even on an old one that's had
75 years to crush and stretch, if you raise pitch, you're adding more
tension to the strings and more pressure to the top of the bridge.  It's
gonna react because it's wood and stretchable metal, not concrete.

I agree with Sarah Fox; I think those pins are s-l-o-w-l-y turning;
unwinding, if you will.

It's the only explanation that, to me, could account for such huge
changes. If the strings were stretching, they'd be getting thin and I've
measured enough old strings to know that, except when abused, they don't
change /that/ much.

No, not that much, but they can decrease in size by a thousandth of an
inch, which is one string size.  And yes, if the pins are a bit loose, I
suppose they can unwind a bit, but I don't think it's the main factor in
causing a piano to go flat.
    Ever seen the becket sticking out of a pin a little too far, so you
squeeze it in?  Does the pitch drop by just a few cents?  NO!  It drops
WAY down!  It just doesn't take much at all to make a string go flat, so
all those reasons above combined (string grooves, pins settling, etc.)
are plenty to explain the pitch drop, even if the pins don't unwind at
all.  It's an exponential, not a linear function, right?  Isn't pitch
related to the square of the tension?  (IMHO)
    --David Nereson, RPT