Summary & Mystery was Flat Facts

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:39:10 -0600

Alan,

I, for one, would believe the pin turning theory is possible.  I do however
also accept (perhaps even more strongly) the concept that steel stretches,
and has no trouble stretching enough to make a piano go 50C flat in 10
years, as you say.  Consider a couple of points:

1.    How much does a string actually have to stretch - longitudinally - to
result in the lowering of pitch 50C or otherwise.  I'll be real scientific
here - not much.

2.    Strings do not stretch uniformly throughout their length.  There are
inevitably weak points in a segment of wire which will fatigue more quickly
than other areas even in an unstressed brand new string.  Further, strings
on the piano have been subjected to stress in a few areas in particular (up
by the tuning pin, pressure bar, etc.) when the piano was strung - likely
places for stretching/failure)

Sooooooooo, while I don't discount the pin movement theory, I think it is
well within reason to think that string stretching could account for the
whole tostada.  Probably more importantly, as with most things piano techy,
there are so many things at work here that we may or may not understand, it
can be futile to assign a singular cause for some phenomenon.

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe