Summary & Mystery was Flat Facts

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:51:54 -0600

Okay, here we go.
=20
I was having a little fun being annonymous; y'all mostly knew who I was. =
And
I really don't think the question is naive, either. I think it's a =
darned
good one.
=20
I've read the comments that have been thoughtfully posted, but I have a =
very
hard time believing that bridge grooves, string stretching, etc., will =
take
a piano 50 cents flat in 10 years--especially if it's an old beater that =
has
been crushing and stretching  for 75 years.
=20
I agree with Sarah Fox; I think those pins are s-l-o-w-l-y turning;
unwinding, if you will.=20
=20
It's the only explanation that, to me, could account for such huge =
changes.
If the strings were stretching, they'd be getting thin and I've measured
enough old strings to know that, except when abused, they don't change =
that
much. Soundboards could squash and split and be flatter over the years =
BUT
sooner or later all that stuff has to pretty well quit changing or the
bridge, for example, would be cut through into 89 little segments (I =
know,
some are close to that <G>).
=20
The screw stringer question was a good one. Old hands, whatayathink?
=20
As to Ron's comment on the Yamaha GH-1 low tenor: Install a DC with
undercover and it will--if it behaves at all like my experience with =
this
exact problem--produce a certifiable miracle. But, Ron, you didn't quite =
get
the stupid old saying correct. It should be: "There's no such thing as a
stupid question, just stupid people."
=20
And Joe Goss, your comment "YGTBACMYGTBATB" triggered the following
enthusiastic response from me, to whit, "Huh?"
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

--=20