Steinway understring felt card

David Chadwick chadwick61@cox.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:13:45 -0800

Mike,=20
Thanks for your input. I have also noticed the different technique =
needed to set the string during fine tuning. Firm test blows usually =
have no effect, I have to make more micro moves with my hammer to place =
the tension properly, in the tenor and I was wondering if the material =
under the felt would fail causing it to cut a channel making it contact =
more of the understring felt. I like your idea of the brass half round =
with thick understring felts and I'll experiment with this if time =
permits.=20

I'm starting to do more with major repairs and refurbishing of original =
components and I frequently check the archives of this list to see what =
alternatives others have used sucessful or not. Thanks to everyone!

David Chadwick RPT
Las Vegas
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Spalding=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:09 AM
  Subject: RE: Steinway understring felt card

  David,

  Here's my thoughts, others may disagree.  The Steinway tenor =
understring felt develops a grip on the strings over time which becomes =
the most obnoxious impediment to reliable rendering of strings during =
tuning.  Unless you absolutely have to remain true to S&S original =
design, consider a low-friction substitute, such as brass half-round.  =
You can lay a strip of thick felt on either side of the brass to damp =
the duplex, but the brass supports the string and allows it to move =
during tuning.  As seen on many fine asian pianos.

  Mike

    ----- Original Message -----=20