Steinway understring felt card

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:09:29 -0600

David,

Here's my thoughts, others may disagree.  The Steinway tenor understring felt develops a grip on the strings over time which becomes the most obnoxious impediment to reliable rendering of strings during tuning.  Unless you absolutely have to remain true to S&S original design, consider a low-friction substitute, such as brass half-round.  You can lay a strip of thick felt on either side of the brass to damp the duplex, but the brass supports the string and allows it to move during tuning.  As seen on many fine asian pianos.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: David Chadwick
To: PTG
Sent: 3/25/2005 10:53:39 AM
Subject: Steinway understring felt card

Greetings,
I need some information regarding exactly what the material is that supports the forward understring felt in the tenor section on the Steinway grand. I'm working on a ex-player "O" which received has some updates, more like down-dates. I'm unsure what to use to support the cloth on that slope on the plate. Anybody has any suggestions?

By the way....The soundboard crack repair system of Bill Spurlock was a first time for me and with proper set-up of jigs and guides it was a pleasure to use. Very close to the bridge for cracks going under the bridge itself. I still used the hand carved method for in-between bridge and bass apron where the set up would not fit. Real professional looking.

David Chadwick
Las Vegas, Nevada