Under lever gram resistance

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:36:00 -0600

dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of V T
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 8:04 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Under lever gram resistance

Hello Dave, List,

>What's the difference whether the effective weight of
>the underlever is due to lead weights or spring
>tension?

That is a very interesting question.  The main thing
that comes to mind is inertia.  The heavily leaded
damper would in theory take longer to accelerate, and
it would also add some heaviness to the key when
playing fast/loud.  How significant is this in
practice...?  Many of us subscribe to Stanwood's
method of controlling weight within a narrow window,
but I never hear much about the effect of the damper
system.  Has anybody on the list made some interesting
discoveries about the inertia of the damper system?

Vladan