Lubricant for string-to-metal contact? And updates to Grady's Guide

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:42:46 -0500

I love Brady's "Guide to Field Repairs" from the PTG, especially the =
great charts at the back about what glues to use where, and what =
lubricants to use where.  Like all mentions of branded products, it =
needs to be kept current.  The glue guide indicates some sources; the =
lube guide does not.

In particular, I get a lot of 30- to 50-year-old pianos, with =
substantial corrosion on the strings.  To avoid breakage and make =
rendering easier, I apply a tiny amount of Tri-Flow (Teflon) with a fine =
artist's brush (staying well away from tuning pins and bass windings). =20

I notice that Grady's preferred lube in this case is E-Z Free Silicone, =
but I can't find that product on the web.  Recommendations?

Some other products Grady mentions that I can't find on the web: "Joy's =
Rust-solv", "McLube 1708", "TLR44", "MoS2 108".

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV