Soundboard cracks under long bridge

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:33:58 -0500

William,
         Jon uses a made up "I" beam as a rail which sits upon or
underneath the rim providing clamping support for a go bar type system. The
go bars are in the form of bolts which are screwed into dowels which expand
to fill the space between what you are clamping and the "I" beam itself.
This then allows a god application of epoxy eliminating the need to add
spruce shims which really don't seem to work anyway. While thinking about
the shimming procedure one time a scripture came to mind. The one about new
wine in old wine skins. (I could look it up if you like.) Anyway the
thought was that new shims in an old board might not be such a good idea
after all. Jon's idea eliminates that but moreover gives a way to clamp
down any delaminations between either the bridge and board or the board and
ribs. One of those "wish I'd thought of that" ideas. I'm at a different
computer right now. If you like I can forward Jon's email to you or you
could ask Jon for the pics if these words don't describe it adequately.

Best,
Greg