Paps wedges

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:52:14 +1030 (Cen. Australia Daylight Time)

 =0D
I've seem a couple of posts re using Paps mutes so I thought I would put =
my
two cents worth in. I was taught to tune using these for uprights, and fe=
lt
wedges for Grands. I have been using them for all my tuning career. (47
years) I have never used a strip.=0D
=0D
The main problem with Paps wedges is that they are too thick on the busin=
ess
end when new, until they are worn in . Plus they have sharp edges which n=
eed
rounding. =0D
=0D
A new wedge is .113 thou thick at the pointy end and really only suitable
for Bass strings and lower Tenor notes.=0D
=0D
I use three Paps wedges and two felt wedges for uprights and 5 felt wedge=
for Grands.=0D
=0D
As I need to sample the 5 As for Cybertuner I use the paps wedges for the
upright treble strings and felt for the Bass.=0D
=0D
The three Paps wedges I use are now .109 thou, .101 thou and .085. they a=
ll
get thinner with use, and I find the thinner .085 is great for C4 upwards=
=2E
Below C4 the thinner wedge keeps popping out. Eventually the thinner one
breaks and I replace it with a new one that is used only for the Bass unt=
il
it gets thinner.=0D
=0D
They are great for Overdampers, and once you get used to the slight click=
ing
noise they are very easy to use.=0D
=0D
Using Cybertuner I have no need to go around in circles until I get the
bearings right. Even with substantial pitch raises most notes are only
visited once using the pitch raise feature of RCT.=0D
=0D
Have a go..nothing ventured..nothing gained=0D
=0D
Robin Stevens=0D
South Australia