Steinway with reverse crown

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:05:37 -0600

> What about that stability thing? Do you think high crowned pianos are
> more sensitive to humidity, staying-in-tune-wise?
> Alan R. Barnard

How was the crown formed? Compression crowned boards are more stable
when they're old and flat - unless they S curve. Rib supported
boards tend to be more stable, in my experience, than compression
supported boards (rib crowned or not). From the bridge, flat sawn
caps are more tuning stable than quarter sawn. Laminated caps are
very stable. There are way to many factors involved to correlate
tuning stability with crown alone.
Ron N