Steinway with reverse crown

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:48:40 -0500

MessageSince nobody that knows what they are talking about have chimed =
in, I'll stick my neck out. I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot =
of difference between the two. The wood will want to change dimensions =
the same amount for a given change in relative humidity.=20

That being said, seems like there is some logic to think the more =
crowned board might react more than the flat one (flat one expand a =
little, but just crush rather than bow out) - but that is just baseless =
speculation on my part. Although I think I've heard the observation that =
an old flat soundboard will yield more stable pitch than a newer crowned =
board - but that might be where the old board has lots of compression =
damage and cracks are simply closing and opening (and not affecting =
crown as much) in response to humidity changes (again more pure =
speculation on my part).

Terry Farrell
  Oh, I only mentioned it because it surprised me since youse guys that =
are rebuilding gurus seem to discuss the subject so much and from so =
many angles.

  What about that stability thing? Do you think high crowned pianos are =
more sensitive to humidity, staying-in-tune-wise?

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO