Bergman upright action problems

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:49:23 EST

Some pianos should just never be made....

I think these are made in the Chinese Young Chang plant.  They look
suspiciously like those little 107 jobbers that break jack springs from time to  time.

First ("free") tuning presented a plethora of problems(Am I almost as
allitertive as Alan:-).  The hammers were a good half inch off the rail,  keys were
tight, yada, yada, yada....

The REAL problem was that the keyboard is so poorly weighted that there  is
so much downweight in the black keys at either end of the  keyboard that the
action weight and springs can't hoist them back into  position, with damper
pedal on or off.

I didn't take readings, but I could feel huge weight differences from  one
key to the next.  After everything was regulated as well as  possible, keys
eased, keypins lubed, the jacks still could not force their  way back under the
butts, despite a healthy dose of teflon powder...

I stretched the jack springs to increase tension, though if  I had time I'd
have replaced them with stronger ones.  This seemed to get  the thing to
function.

Short of pulling leads out of the fronts of the keys, any other ideas
helping this action?

Thanks,

Dave S.