Haines Action

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:35:04 EST

In a message dated 3/22/05 8:02:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

>  >"...1931-1938 Haines Bros. Ampico grand piano (4' 8").
>   >It's a late production model with radio knobs instead of the normal
> "B" knobs in the drawer."
>
>  Anyone know about the  action in these pix?

Jon,

I did some work on one a year and a half ago.  There was a gentleman  named
Greg Debrisay, who peruses this list from time to time, who asked the list  for
advice about it.  I went and looked at the piano, and did a bit of
regulation to get it playing, and tuning, to make it sound like a musical  instrument.

The coolest things were the jig he made to fabricate broken springs, and  the
tool he made to regulate them with.  He bequeathed the tool to  me.  I can
snap a photo of it and send it along if you're interested.   And I'll bet Greg
would be willing to make a few springs.  He's not a piano  tech, but he's quite
crafty when it comes to this sort of thing.  Greg, are  you reading this??

If you'd like a photo, I'll dig it the tool out of tool kit "B" (for seldom
used tools) and snap one for y'all.

Keep on springin',

Dave Stahl