Regulation, Pitch-Raise and Customer Relations

Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:04:46 -0000

Hello Matthew and List
I had this same problem of pitch raise and regulate on Monday. The piano =
is an overstrung upright, has one or two loose wrest pins has a "gap =
frame" - that means there is no metal "web" for the wrest pins. It is =
also a semi-tone flat  i.e. A=3D415 + or - and the daughter plays the =
violin... It was not only flat but in need of basic action regulation, =
you know, touch, set-off, damper seating and all 240 or so action screws =
were loose. It took four hours to get this piano right, but they were =
delighted. I tell clients I work at an hourly rate with a minimum first =
hour. If they like it that's OK. If they don't.... well that's their =
problem. As for the couple of loose wrest pins I extracted them, =
inserted a couple of bridle tapes in the hole, put the kneb in the wrest =
pin and screwed up the string until it was more-or-less like the usual =
coil then bonked it firmly into place with that special hammer which is =
part of that multi-purpose screw driver-cum-damper-wire-regulater =
thingy. One of the bass strings broke so I tied a bit on. That promptly =
broke so I unwound some of the covering (it's one of a pair..) tied =
another stock core on and brought it up to pitch. It didn't sound too =
bad even with less covering on than its "pair". Any time I restring the =
bass section of a piano I always retain the off-cuts for repair work =
such as this.To pitch raise I used my "quadrant" method (see the =
Archives about 2 years ago) in order to equalise the across-frame =
tension at all times. After all, one semi-tone =3D a ton of tension on =
the frame around A=3D440. So you've got to be careful else the frame =
will break. Been there. Done that. But the BIGGEST change to a piano =
comes with the raising of the pitch to A=3D440. Tonal change is immense =
and very satisfying. Takes about 3/4 hour to pitch raise and another =
50mins. to tune. I did the thing in two passes.
Good luck Matthew, you'll "do it"!
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20