retirement

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:54:28 -0800

This is to all the friends and enemies I've made on the list.  No, I'm not
going away, even if some of you think I should.

I'm pushing 75 from the wrong direction and my get up and go has got up and
gone.  I have made the decision to quit teaching classes (except perhaps
locally), not to go to anymore conventions, drop my insurance and soon my
ptg membership.  My priorities  are changing.  I have sleep apnea, don't
like to travel anymore and have a level of heart failure.  I may try to
write a book entitled "Why I'm growing old kicking and screaming rather than
gracefully".

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not disgruntled, PO'ed or anything.  I just
can't justify a level of participation like before.  My sense of humor is
still intact, so don't vex me!
I consider all of you my friends, in spite of the disagreements I've had
with some.

Now!! Let me tell you about my present project.  For you who don't know
about it, there is a site called Pianocorder Resources.  It describes how
Mark Fontana did a Masters thesis on archiving the music available in the
pianocorder to MIDI.  many years ago.  Now he has written a plug in to the
Win amp program to convert MIDI back to Pianocorder format so that with the
proper adapter you can play all the Pianocorder songs plus many other or any
midi on your pianocorder.

I've rescaled/restrung a 1903 Mason/Hamlin upright, installed a pianocorder,
and am now playing my choice of about 50000 midi files. Great sport!  I'm
not finished with the action yet.  It needs new hammers, dampers and
regulation.  I decided not to refinish it so that I wouldn't be tempted to
sell it.  I've hardwired it but a wireless is available.

I have some questions about the hammers.  Subject of my next post!

Thanks all.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.