Increasing Crown

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:23:24 -0700

   This sounds similar to the last resort attempt at "re-crowning" old
boards using the automotive valve spring method, where L-brackets are
fastened to the back posts (or beams) and valve springs press on a slat
of hardwood which rests on the ribs.  There is an adjusting bolt to
increase the compression of the valve springs, thereby pushing the
soundboard outwards.  I've seen and heard this done to mostly school
studio uprights and it did help.  I tried it on an old upright which had
a board with only one crack, still some crown, but an annoying buzz.
The valve springs got rid of the buzz, but the tone and sustain were not
helpeed any.  A Steinway owner asked me if the same thing could be done
to increase the sustain and or volume in octaves 6 and 7 of his model B
(after I had already exhausted my bag of regulating and voicing
tricks).  I was reluctant to do this to a Steinway but he was willing to
try anything.   It didn't help.  So we tried adding brass weights to the
underside of the bridge.  No noticeable results there, either.
    So, yeah, you can try it, but don't have high hopes.  I realize
these above-mentioned attempts don't include gluing any laminates to
ribs.  The springs are held in place by their own compression,  resting
on fender washers bolted to the adjusting bolts, which in turn are
bolted to the L-brackets fastened to the back posts.  The other end of
the spring rests on the slat which is held against the ribs by the
spring pressure.
    By the way, John Bloch in Denver got the idea of doing this from
Johnny Pullano, long-time tuner for the Denver Public Schools.  He's the
one who gave the technical at a PTG meeting at John Bloch's shop.   It
has a dramatic effect on some pianos and none on others.
        --David Nereson, RPT, Denver