Strangest tuning pins....

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:18:11 -0000

Dan,
In Australia the Beale piano company in Sydney had a very successful run with
this design, from before turn of last century upto early 1950's.
Ron Overs has story on his website.
Suggest posting number of pins required. They come in 2 different lengths for
different thickness of plate at bass and treble.
Best of luck,
Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner.

Dan Cartlidge <inrharmony@verizon.net> said:

> Query...I have a customer with an old grand piano...probably European of
some kind, pretty old, but of modern style.  The problem is the tuning pins.
This piano has NO pin block.  What it has is a two piece tuning pin system.
The part we use to tune looks the same as on a normal piano, protruding from
the plate...here's where the similarity stops.  The bottom of this part of
the pin is somewhat bell-shaped, to butt up against the bottom of the plate.
Underneath that is a bolt that screws up against the pin and there's where
you regulate the tightness of the pin.

> The problem is...some of the pins have broken at the becket hole...is my
customer screwed, or has anyone heard of this, or know where I can acquire
these odd pins?