Strangest tuning pins....

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:04:32 -0800 (PST)

Dan,

That is very interesting;  U.S. Patent 4920847 by
Harold Conklin describes a tuning pin setup without
the pin block.  This is however a more recent
invention (1990).  If the owner is very attached to
the instrument, one could probably do something along
the lines of the idea in the patent to replace the
broken pins.  The invention appears to be well tested
and documented in the description.

Vladan

===================================
Query...I have a customer with an old grand
piano...probably European of =
some kind, pretty old, but of modern style.  The
problem is the tuning =
pins.  This piano has NO pin block.  What it has is a
two piece tuning =
pin system.  The part we use to tune looks the same as
on a normal =
piano, protruding from the plate...here's where the
similarity stops.  =
The bottom of this part of the pin is somewhat
bell-shaped, to butt up =
against the bottom of the plate.  Underneath that is a
bolt that screws =
up against the pin and there's where you regulate the
tightness of the =
pin. =20

The problem is...some of the pins have broken at the
becket hole...is my =
customer screwed, or has anyone heard of this, or know
where I can =
acquire these odd pins?

Dan Cartlidge, RPT