Where's the action (cloth)?

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:21:30 -0600

BTW Renner (actually Bill Spurlock) says to wet the strip before running =
it
through. Have you tried it that way?
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Terry
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:07 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Where's the action (cloth)?

I just thought - sizing the felt bushing is as important as gluing it in
place - seems to me overnight, or at least several hours, is going to be
mandatory for a good lasting fit. But perhaps others have more =
experience
with this.
=20
Terry Farrell

You are correct - their felt products are not on the web site. I simply
called them. You can order as many or as few as you wish. Only one size. =
If
I recall correctly, they are $2 per strip (but I could be WAY off with
that).
=20
I honestly don't know how to rush drying the bushings. I've always just =
done
it in my shop and had the luxury of time. I'd be tempted to experiment =
with
other glues like Titebond in the shop first to make sure it didn't go =
too
far into the felt (maybe use sparingly and let air dry until tacky???).
=20
Have you used the Renner bushing felt before? Be sure to use their =
training
tool (to get the felt to go through the flange easy. I pull my felt =
through
the flange, one cut, thread a bunch of flanges on a long center pin wire =
(or
individual wires), and then apply a 50/50 mix of water/alcohol and let =
dry
overnight. Works great. Depending on how much friction you are after
controls what size wire you use to for sizing.=20
=20
Terry Farrell

I had checked out their website but if they post any prices or even list
their felt products on there, they sure have them hidden. I emailed =
them. Do
you have to call them to order, THEN find out the cost? If so, that =
would be
very Steinway of them.
=20
I guess for field repairs, one could dab on a little Titebond.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO