Where's the action (cloth)?

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:07:14 -0500

MessageI just thought - sizing the felt bushing is as important as =
gluing it in place - seems to me overnight, or at least several hours, =
is going to be mandatory for a good lasting fit. But perhaps others have =
more experience with this.

Terry Farrell

  You are correct - their felt products are not on the web site. I =
simply called them. You can order as many or as few as you wish. Only =
one size. If I recall correctly, they are $2 per strip (but I could be =
WAY off with that).

  I honestly don't know how to rush drying the bushings. I've always =
just done it in my shop and had the luxury of time. I'd be tempted to =
experiment with other glues like Titebond in the shop first to make sure =
it didn't go too far into the felt (maybe use sparingly and let air dry =
until tacky???).

  Have you used the Renner bushing felt before? Be sure to use their =
training tool (to get the felt to go through the flange easy. I pull my =
felt through the flange, one cut, thread a bunch of flanges on a long =
center pin wire (or individual wires), and then apply a 50/50 mix of =
water/alcohol and let dry overnight. Works great. Depending on how much =
friction you are after controls what size wire you use to for sizing.=20

  Terry Farrell
    I had checked out their website but if they post any prices or even =
list their felt products on there, they sure have them hidden. I emailed =
them. Do you have to call them to order, THEN find out the cost? If so, =
that would be very Steinway of them.

    I guess for field repairs, one could dab on a little Titebond.

    Alan R. Barnard
    Salem, MO