Yamaha CFlll Question

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:25:18 +0100

On 13-mrt-05, at 8:10, Horace Greeley wrote:

> Hi, Phil,
>
> Assuming that you have already done the normal tapping of strings &
> etc. type stuff - what do the strings sound like when plucked as
> opposed to when struck by the hammer?  That is, how much sustain do
> you get one, relative to the other.  If the sustain is consistent,
> good/bad/etc aside, then the problem is quite probably the
> hammer(s)...at least in that section.
>
> Also assuming that these are stock CFIII hammers, they really do not
> like much in the way of liquids; and respond much better to quality
> shaping and judicious needlework to develop tone.  (The techniques are
> much more like working on Bechstein or Bluthner than a North American
> instrument.  Various folks have written about approaches.)  If,
> however, they have been over needled across the crown (a growing
> problem), either be pleased that you can pass this work back to
> someone else or try to sell a new set of hammers.  Since you said
> "CFIII" and not "CFIIIs", this sounds like an older instrument which
> might well be ready for a number of things.
>
> I'd be interested in what you find with some further diagnostics.
>
> Best.
>
> Horace

With Yamaha's it is almost always da hammah...

solution:
new hammer
good regulation
good tuning
good voicing

problem solved

If this concerns a CFIII, the result may be less prominent, if however
it is a CFIII-S the result can be very nice indeed but be aware of the
softer Wurzen felt they use, and indeed, don't use juice.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl