Yamaha CFlll Question

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:10:16 -0800

Hi, Phil,

Assuming that you have already done the normal tapping of strings & etc.
type stuff - what do the strings sound like when plucked as opposed to when
struck by the hammer?  That is, how much sustain do you get one, relative
to the other.  If the sustain is consistent, good/bad/etc aside, then the
problem is quite probably the hammer(s)...at least in that section.

Also assuming that these are stock CFIII hammers, they really do not like
much in the way of liquids; and respond much better to quality shaping and
judicious needlework to develop tone.  (The techniques are much more like
working on Bechstein or Bluthner than a North American instrument.  Various
folks have written about approaches.)  If, however, they have been over
needled across the crown (a growing problem), either be pleased that you
can pass this work back to someone else or try to sell a new set of
hammers.  Since you said "CFIII" and not "CFIIIs", this sounds like an
older instrument which might well be ready for a number of things.

I'd be interested in what you find with some further diagnostics.

Best.

Horace