Tools to remove old glue.. +MOTH...!

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:16:35 -0000

Hello List
I was asked to tune a piano in an old church (part Saxon, part Regency =
and part Victorian) in Lewes Sussex. This was Wednesday 9 March. When I =
looked at this very venerable Bechstein grand (No.2824 - figured walnut =
case) I found MOTH had got there first. The reason for tuning was for a =
piano concerto being performed there on Saturday. New composer at the =
piano. Dilemma! Dare I take the action out, back to my workshop, knowing =
the tremendous liability? Answer Yes! But Thursday I had tunings and =
repairs ready for piano exams at a school and an old square piano to =
tune. Old.. as in 1775 built by Pohlman. Pitch A=3D393. But that was =
young compared to the house it was in.... 1530. Now that's OLD. Today I =
was committed to tuning seven school pianos. I last tuned them two years =
ago... YUK. So where does the tool fit in? Bechstein action on bench. =
Dismantle hammer rail complete with hammers. Disconnect all those little =
stickers Bechstein used to use between the keys and the levers. Many of =
the felt bushes .. GONE! (this job is getting bigger by the moment... =
bigger liability..) Find the hammer rest pads on the levers are eaten. =
Even centre bushings.. eaten. That regulating button for the jack-top =
window ... eaten. Then a moth grub poked its head out and winked at me. =
I squashed it. They're hard, you know, quite difficult to squash. Remove =
the lever rail with all the levers attached and the little sticker =
dangling from them. Remove keys and get the vacuum going. Where were the =
balance rail washers? Eaten. Where were the front rail thick washers... =
eaten. The back rail touch felt was but a shadow of its former =
self...Eaten. Been there? So have I. But the action must be back and =
working by 3:00pm tomorrow for rehearsal. Removing the remains of the =
touch felt showed the need for something sharp and heavy. So I got a 1 =
1/2" cold chisel. Heavy thing. Sharpened it up very nicely on the belt =
sander and that old felt and glue came off very quickly indeed. Replace =
all felts and find key-touch not deep enough. Dismantle action and try =
again. Then regulate. I have a little (as in 3" long) flat ratchet screw =
driver for touch regulating in these old Bechsteins. Now the action is =
finished. Regulated on the bench from section string heights taken on =
site and using my home made bridge. But... what's that I see... poking =
its little brown head out of a hammer?  Quick! Squash another one.. I =
really do fear for my stock of felt....
'Night all
Michael G.(UK)