Tools to remove old glue.. +MOTH...!

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:03:59 +0100

On 12-mrt-05, at 0:16, Michael Gamble wrote:

> Hello List
> I was asked to tune a piano in an old church (part Saxon, part Regency=20=

> and part Victorian) in Lewes Sussex. This was Wednesday 9 March. When=20=

> I looked at this very venerable Bechstein grand (No.2824 - figured=20
> walnut case)=A0I found MOTH had got there first. The reason for tuning=20=

> was for a piano concerto being performed there on Saturday. New=20
> composer at the piano. Dilemma! Dare I take the action out, back to my=20=

> workshop, knowing the tremendous liability? Answer Yes! But Thursday I=20=

> had tunings and repairs ready for piano exams at a school and an old=20=

> square piano to tune. Old.. as in 1775 built by Pohlman. Pitch A=3D393.=20=

> But that was young compared to the house it was in.... 1530. Now=20
> that's OLD. Today I was committed to tuning seven school pianos. I=20
> last tuned them two years ago... YUK. So where does the tool fit in?=20=

> Bechstein action on bench. Dismantle hammer rail complete with=20
> hammers. Disconnect all those little stickers Bechstein used to use=20
> between the keys and the levers. Many of the felt bushes .. GONE!=20
> (this job is getting bigger by the moment... bigger liability..) Find=20=

> the hammer rest pads on the levers are eaten. Even centre bushings..=20=

> eaten. That regulating button for the jack-top window ... eaten. Then=20=

> a moth grub poked its head out and winked at me. I squashed it.=20
> They're hard, you know, quite difficult to squash. Remove the lever=20
> rail with all the levers attached and the little sticker dangling from=20=

> them. Remove keys and get the vacuum going. Where were the balance=20
> rail washers? Eaten. Where were the front rail thick washers... eaten.=20=

> The back rail touch felt was but a shadow of its former self...Eaten.=20=

> Been there? So have I. But the action must  be back and working by=20
> 3:00pm tomorrow for rehearsal. Removing the remains of the touch felt=20=

> showed the need for something sharp and heavy. So I got a 1 1/2" cold=20=

> chisel. Heavy thing. Sharpened it up very=A0nicely on the belt sander=20=

> and that old felt and glue came off very quickly indeed. Replace all=20=

> felts and find key-touch not deep enough. Dismantle action and try=20
> again. Then regulate. I have a little (as in 3" long)=A0flat ratchet=20=

> screw driver for touch regulating in these old Bechsteins. Now the=20
> action is finished. Regulated on the bench from section string heights=20=

> taken on site and using my home made bridge. But... what's that I=20
> see... poking its little brown head out of a hammer?=A0 Quick! Squash=20=

> another one.. I really do fear for my stock of felt....
> 'Night all
> Michael G.(UK)

Michael.
What we do with these 'stickers suckers' is remove everything, and=20
install new wippens and hammers.
Of course the keys need to be 'polished up' and a new leading is=20
inevitable.
Fantastic repair, like putting an 8 cylinder twin turbo in that old car.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl