Your tuning is your calling card

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:01:19 EST

List,

I recently did a warranty tuning for a store I've been connected with for
over 15 years.  It was an older Kawai upright in a rehearsal room  at a church
not far from my house.  I didn't think much about it,  though the piano did
have quite a pleasing sound.  I tuned it and  left.  The church has apparently
used another tuner for quite awhile, so I  figured that would be the last of my
connection with them.

I got a call about a week later from a gentleman who is affiliated with the
church as a musical director of some sort asking if I could come by his house
and tune is Schimmel grand.  In a thick german accent, he stated that he
really liked my tuning.

I made an appointment, and two weeks later went to his house, where I tuned
his 6' + grand.  Two days later I got a call from him asking if I'd come by
and tune the piano in the sanctuary for an upcoming concert.  We made a  date
for this weekend.

Both the gentleman and his wife--who was my original contact at the
church--are involved in the music scene at this particular church, as well as  another
one not far away.  They have many friends who have pianos to whom  they plan
to recommend me.

All this from one little "warranty" tuning that I almost turned down!

The moral of the story:  ANY tuning you do can be a calling card,  either
good or bad.  If you set your hammer to a pin, be ready to do the  best job you
can do!  You never know who might be listening.

Happy tuning from sunny(and hot) CA,

Dave Stahl