Glued Flanges

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:10:47 -0800

Brad said: "Joe,
Thanks for replying.
(CA glue was used on a 'triage' situation I had recently, where powder =
post
beetles had eaten through much of the action on a M & H from Florida.
I used glue, and used up much of my supply of Webb's wood rebuilder to =
fill
in gaps and patch together the back action. Long story.)

Personally, I would also prefer a method that would allow me to take the
flange off of the rail and repair it.
But, short of converting the rail, I wanted to do something to reinforce =
the
existing glue joint and configuration.

I appreciate everyone's responses.  Thanks!"

Brad,
"Triage" is definately a whole different "kettle of fish"!<G> However, =
if you've ever tried to get parts back to normal, after CA, you'll =
really think several times before using it in this sort of action =
situation. Believe me, it ain't fun undoing that!<G> Your original post =
gave me the impression that you were "rebuilding" this thingee in the =
shop. In that case, I'd, at least, put screws in each flange. I've found =
that sometimes I'll simply "eat" some extra work, just to make it right =
with future work, (customer advised), in mind.<G>
Best regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I