Unison slump

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:48:40 EST

Phil,

Another thing to factor in here might be frequency of tuning vs. power of
the pianist.  If you're doing high end work, odds are, the player is going  to
do his/her best to knock the piano out of tune(unintentionally, of  course).  I
see it as a never ending battle.

Some of the teachers I tune for are REALLY strong players who break strings
and knock the instruments out of tune, especially in the killer octave, with
great regularity.  What can I do about it?  Not much, I've decided,  unless
they have their pianos tuned with far more frequency than they do.   Monthly
would be good, or even more often.

In attempting to emulate one of the players' in order to get a unison solid
recently, I broke a string in the killer octave.  That sure didn't do much
for unison stability....;-{

I also think that Andre is right in that your ear's ability to be more
discerning is hard at work here.

Though I haven't heard your work, I'm certain that you do as good as job as
possible in any given circumstance.  That's really all you can do.

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 3/11/05 4:09:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,