Unison slump, a grave warning

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:21:56 +0100

On 11-mrt-05, at 15:48, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> Phil,
> =A0
> Another thing to factor in here might be frequency of tuning vs. power=20=

> of the pianist.=A0 If you're doing high end work, odds are, the player=20=

> is going to do his/her best to knock the piano out of=20
> tune(unintentionally, of course).=A0=A0I see it as a never ending =
battle.=A0
>  =A0
> Some of the teachers I tune for are REALLY strong players who break=20
> strings and knock the instruments out of tune, especially in the=20
> killer octave, with great regularity.=A0 What can I do about it?=A0 =
Not=20
> much, I've decided, unless they have their pianos tuned with far more=20=

> frequency than they do.=A0 Monthly would be good, or even more often.
> =A0
> In attempting to emulate one of the players' in order to get a unison=20=

> solid recently, I broke a string in the killer octave.=A0 That sure=20
> didn't do much for unison stability....;-{
> =A0
> I also think that Andre is right in that your ear's ability to be more=20=

> discerning is hard at work here.=A0
>  =A0
> Though I haven't heard your work, I'm certain that you do as good as=20=

> job as possible in any given circumstance.=A0 That's really all you =
can=20
> do.
> =A0
> Dave Stahl

I recognize what you guys are talking about :
It has to do with endless tuning. At a certain moment your ears become=20=

more sensitive, and this may seem nice, professionally speaking,=20
because you hear more.
Because you hear more, you are beginning to listen in a different way=20
to your tuning work. Your unisons seem weird at a certain moment,=20
intervals seem to get a life of their own i.e. they seem more flexible=20=

than before, listening to a tuning you just made makes you wonder=20
sometimes what you just did etc etc.
It is a higher level of listening but also a more intensive way of=20
'digesting' sound.
This is a tender moment, because two things are happening at the same=20
time : because of the endless daily repetition of sounds, we get more=20
and more 'professional'. Because we become more and more used to=20
working faster and especially working more 'economically', we are able=20=

to spend less time on one instrument and thereby do one more tuning, or=20=

sometimes even two more instruments.
In other words : professionally speaking we get onto a higher plane of=20=

efficiency and that means you 're getting better and better at what you=20=

are doing.
and that is nice because after many years of training and trying to be=20=

very good, we come to a level where we are highly trained, and darn=20
good.

At the same, our hearing gets more and more sensitive, and herein lies=20=

a danger : especially real pro's should be aware of the danger,=20
patiently waiting for them, because if they know about it beforehand,=20
they can take precautions.
I am talking about professional earplugs.
Especially during this moment of professional high tide, the eras get=20
more and more sensitive and it is more than possible that at that=20
moment we cross a border.
I myself have crossed that border a long time ago and that's exactly=20
why and how I know what I am talking about.

The message here is : be happy with your new found hearing sensitivity,=20=

but start to protect your ears immediately.

'EAR'

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek